Debugging Remote Desktop Connections

I was recently having issues connecting to a server using remote desktop and ran across a very good reference page on the topic: Remote Desktop Tips for the SOHO User.  Lots of screen shots and specific information.  Reviewing this page, I learned about a utility from Microsoft called the PortQry (port query) tool, that allows you to query for specific open ports on a remote IP address.   It's a command line utility, but there's a GUI version available.  I downloaded the utility and immediately found that the remote desktop port (3389) was not listening on the remote server, which effectively ended my troubleshooting.  I highly recommend it as the place to start for remote desktop information.

4 comments: (+add yours?)

Stumped Admin said...

I scanned my PC for port 3389, it showed it was closed, but RDP was still able to access my machine. Why is that?

Joe Wirtley said...

Sounds like a good question. Wish I had any ideas for you, but nothing leaps to mind.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hornblower409 said...

Link to http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html is dead.