TFS Error Deleting a File

I've recently had the dubious pleasure of beginning to work with Microsoft TFS (Team Foundation Server).  At this point, I'm only using the version control.  It's quite a change from Subversion, which I have been working with for several years now.  One of the first annoying things I found in TFS is when I tried to delete a file and got this message:

TFS Deletion Error

And so you can find it in the text of the blog post, I'll repeat it:

Error

A database error occurred (SQL error 18054) ---> Error 500032, severity 16, state 1 was raised, but no message with that error number was found in sys.messages.  If error is larger than 50000, make sure the user-defined message is added using sp_addmessage.

I'm sure it's obvious to you what the problem was, but it did elude me.  All I knew was that when I tried to delete something from TFS, I got a SQL error.  As it turns out, this error was caused by my trying to delete a file I had checked out.  Not that I had made any local changes, mind you, just that I had it checked out (and the whole idea of actually checking out a file to modify it seems odd to me after working with Subversion for so long).  I guess I should have known that error 500032 means I can't delete a file I have checked out.  After checking in the unchanged files, I was able to successfully remove them from source control.

0 comments: (+add yours?)